September 04, 2014

120 days of happiness

There is exactly 120 days till the end of the year (counting today too)! I challenge you to be happy every single day out of those 120. Not just that, I challenge you to try out as many new thing as you can in those 120 days and if you want, share your story here. Send it via email (to isitfrench@gmail.com) or share it in the comments! You can also share a picture of what happened to you to make you happy or your new experience on Instagram (hashtag #120daysofHappiness and @_anamari_). I'll share my experiences but I'd love to feature you too, so please get in touch.




So, as I said 120 days left. That's almost third of a year and thinking back, I'm aware that I didn't use this year to it's max up till now. Furthermore, at one point I felt like my life is passing by and I'm just sitting there and watching it pass, doing nothing. I felt so helpless at that point, but I also knew it's all up to me. I'm the one that let things roll out the way they did. I lost control over what happens in my life because I got lazy at some point. 
Truth is, we can't control everything that happens in our life either, but if we're not happy, guess what: it's all up to us. It's on us to change it! 

The main reason why I got this idea is beacause somewhere in the middle of last December while I was going to my college classes another student stopped me and asked me to help him with his project. I was in a hurry so I reluctantly declined his proposition. However, I kept thinking about his questions for quite a long time.

What’s the craziest thing you’ve ever done?
What are your New Year’s resolutions?
The second one didn’t occupy me that much. I don’t really make those because I think that whatever you want to do, you can start doing right away, no need to wait for who knows how long. Although, I do make plans; it’s just a little something that keeps me sane during those intense days, knowledge that I have something to look forward to. It can be a trip, a birthday party, enrolling some kind of course… just predictability of current week can sometimes bring me comfort and happiness and I appreciate it.
The first one however, kept me thinking on and on. Back and forward. I couldn’t remember one crazy thing I did, and I don’t mean stupid at the same time. Just something risky, brave and possibly reckless. Maybe I did do it, I just couldn’t remember. At that point it was that long ago!
So I asked myself: what was the last time you did something for the first time?
That was even better question and much more significant for me. I might have been responsible and rational by character (that rules out doing crazy things I suppose) but that doesn’t mean I can’t learn and try new things. I actually live for learning and trying new things.

Realizing I haven’t experienced anything new (besides some really good cakes) for a really long time, I decided to change it. Answer to my problems was a bucket list. Well, sort of. I wrote down 20 things to do till my next birthday. I didn’t manage to do them all so I wrote down more things and extended my deadline till the end of the year.
There is a third of this year left and I still didn’t do some of those things. Thinking back, I was scared and lazy to try something new, although I’d always feel even too happy when I’d finally do it.
It’s not that I wasted those two thirds all the way, I achieved things I’m proud of, I had fun, I did experience some new things and I was happy, but not as much as I could’ve been, if you understand me.
It’s not that I’m not happy with how things turned out, I am, I’m also very grateful, but... You know those saying people put for Facebook status at the beginning of a new year, like:

This year is a book of 365 pages and you’re the writer, don’t waste any pages.

 There are more of those, and although it’s completely natural to waste some pages too because we are all only humans and learning our whole life how to deal with things, I’m aware that I wasted some pages simply because I chose to.

Waste is a waste, and those are the days that I’ll never get back. Once that thought settled down in my mind, I decided that I want to waste as least as possible days from then on. I also want as many people as possible to live their life to the fullest.
So, for the next 120 days, let’s put each day to a good use: try new things, learn more and be happy.

As for the next post: Don’t be afraid to dream big and why dreams are free, but the hustle is sold separately! It’s much related to this topic.
Read me soon,
Love, A.

No comments:

Post a Comment